1. I listen to each child in their mode of communication whether through play, with words or in their actions.
2. I work hard to be aware of my own prejudices and judgements in order that I can see the child exactly as they are.
3. I set consistent boundaries to ensure we are both safe.
4. I re-direct any action that might be unsafe towards a safe way of expressing themselves to help the child to contain their big emotions.
5. I give permission for the child to initiate all activities though I provide the materials and appropriate toys so that they may 'show' me their story.
6. I provide the conditions that help us to build a trusting therapeutic relationship so that the child can feel confident and safe to share whatever they need to share.
7. I maintain confidentiality unless I have a concern for the child's safety outside of the session - I follow school safeguarding policies and procedures.
8. I maintain appropriate clinical notes in line with GDPR law and BACP guidelines. All notes are kept locked.
(picture not taken in a counselling session)